Friday, January 06, 2012

Roboform Rant

I have been a seriously long-term user of a product called Roboform. I've recommended it to others, I've taught classes and told them they needed to get a copy -- I've been a one-man referral shop for these guys.

No more.

I *bought* Roboform (enough copies for the computers in our household and at my office) several years ago with the understanding that I was buying the program. Then somewhere along the way they decided that I had really only bought one version and if I wanted to get the new update then I would have to re-buy all copies I had. YUK! That sweet-as-honey taste in my mouth was turning quite sour.

Fortunately they had a new product called Roboform Everywhere. Since I no longer have responsibility for an office I found I could pay just $10 and install it on all the machines in my home for a year. That's workable. I understand they need to pay their bills and probably they put out a major new release every 3 years so basically I'm paying $30 for each new release.

Now this year comes around and, low-and-behold, the cost is no longer $10 but $20 per year. Now all of a sudden the $30 per release is now looking at $60 per release.

I have spent the evening doing a careful review of their competitors. Lastpass is looking really good at this point.

If I recommended Roboform to you in the past ... I take it back. Go with Lastpass instead. Hopefully they will be a little more consistent in their marketing strategy and in their communication with customers. Roboform just priced themselves out of my market, not because of their price but because they can't make a decision and stick to it!

UPDATE 26-SEP-2012 - Looks like I'm not the only one dissatisfied with Siber Systems. Here's their entry for the Better Business Bureau - a grade of an F.  As in, FAIL.  More than that, if you compare them to all (!) the companies in their area of business (computer software & services) they are THE WORST in the BBB!  Big OOPS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home