Thursday, September 15, 2011

Suggestions for Garmin Nuvi UI

If there were a contest for the worst sense of direction in the world I would be a contender for the gold in those Olympics. Thus GPS technology has quickly become an absolute necessity for me.

I've recently upgraded to an android phone (HTC Inspire) and have played around with the GPS capabilities there, but my long-time fallback is my Garmin Nuvi 275T. It has both N. American as well as European maps (albeit pretty thin in the Eastern European region) and has saved my neck countless times.

As a long-time user I've played around a lot with it and I would say come pretty close to fully maximizing its potential. And I love it. But there are some things that could be changed pretty easily that would make a BIG difference!

With no further ado...
  1. The ETA is prominently displayed, but you have to bounce all over through the menus in order to find out what time the device thinks it is. (My clock in my car is always off and whenever I get in a rental it's off in a different direction.) The lower right corner should be a hotspot. When I push on it I should be able to choose what displays there from these options -- each should be a checkbox so I can display more than one if I want:
  • ETA
  • Current time
  • Time to destination (countdown)
  1. I recently found out that a long-press on any "back" button will take me back to the main screen. But 95% of the time I want to go back to the map view. There should be a special button on every screen of the menus (long-press on "back" is not going to be found by too many people) that takes you to EITHER the main screen OR the map view, user configurable under settings as to which one it does.
  2. (more later...)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home